60th Anniversary Shabbat – Friday, September 9, 7:15PM at HCRJ
- Please join us in worship and celebration as we kickoff of our 60th Anniversary year with a special Shabbat service. Celebrate the first 60 years of HCRJ and toast to the future. We will install our new board members for 2016-2017. A champagne reception to follow services.
60th Anniversary Tailgate Party – Sunday, September 11, 11:00AM-3:00PM at HCRJ
- Spend your Sunday afternoon at our 60th Anniversary tailgate. Tailgate feasting, bounce houses, a photo booth, a dessert food truck and more will help us kick off a year of celebration. Watch the Houston Texans first game of the season on our huge projection screen and have some family fun with HCRJ! For all ages! Wear your 60th Anniversary t-shirt!
Cars, Coffee and Conversation – Saturday, September 17, 10:00AM-12:00PM at HCRJ
- Are you a car enthusiast? Then, this event is for you. Bring your classic, future classic, sports or muscle car to display…or just join us as a car enthusiast spectator or even if you are not one at this first-time event! Cars from a variety of eras will be showcased. Mitch Leben, owner of Mitch’s Motors, will host a car detailing demo.
Got Shabbat: A Klezmer Simchat Torah Celebration – Friday, October 28, 7:15PM at HCRJ
- Come together at Shabbat Services as we celebrate Simchat Torah, which means “Rejoicing in the Torah.” Our spirits will be lifted by a local Klezmer band as we honor the Torah and begin anew.
Bark Mitzvah – Sunday, November 13, 12:30PM at HCRJ
- Do you have a dog? Bring your furry friend to HCRJ for a Bark Mitzvah. Groomers, trainers, vendors, specialty treat shops and more will help shape an afternoon of joy. Food and fun for all. Rabbi Gross will extend a special blessing on every dog. Dogs do not need to know Hebrew.
Margarita Madness – Saturday, December 10, 6:00PM at Home of Anna and Gary Mason
- Bounce to the beats of the Latin samba at the home of Anna and Gary Mason. Feast on fajitas while sipping frozen margaritas. Our South of the Border fiesta is not to be missed.
Got Shabbat: Third Annual Deli Shabbos– Friday, January 13, 6:00PM at HCRJ
- Ziggy Gruber (owner of Kenny & Ziggy’s) will join us for the evening as we explore the joys of Jewish dining. Join us for dinner and services and learn the Art of Parev (the term used to refer foods which are neither dairy nor meat). For a few thousand years an entire cuisine has been shaped by this category of Jewish food.
La Cena Italiana: Italian Dinner – Thursday, January 26, 6:30PM at Arcodoro
- Toast our 60th Anniversary and honor our underwriters with a magnificent Sardinian feast at Arcodoro, one of Houston’s finest restaurants. Our resident gourmets, Efisio and Lori Farris, are planning an elegant evening to remember featuring Sardinian specialties paired with wines from the region.
Painting Party – Tuesday, February 7, 6:00PM at Painting with a Twist
- Paint, eat, drink and be merry. This is a night to let your creative spirit fly. Under the instruction of gifted artists, everyone will create a masterpiece. No painting skills required.
Havdalah in Pajamas – Saturday, February 25, 5:00PM at HCRJ
- Attention HCRJ children! Join us for an activity for the youngest members of our congregation (ages 8 and under). Help us bring bid farewell to the Sabbath with stories, songs and a beautiful Havdalah service. Wear your favorite pajamas.
Got Shabbat: Jews of Ireland – Friday, March 17, 6:00PM at HCRJ
- Jews have lived in Ireland for centuries. The earliest reference can be found from the year 1079. From that early date, the Jews of Ireland have had a very interesting history. Join us for a St. Patrick’s Day Shabbat and learn about the Jews of Ireland; feast on Irish delicacies and enjoy a pint or two of Irish brew made by our He-Brew (she can Brew, too) class.
Wine and Food Night – Date TBD in late March/early April. Time and location TBD
- Come together to learn about different wine and food pairings.
Bowling – Sunday, April 2, 1:00-3:00pm at Bowlmor Lanes
- Party like a Rock Star! Hit a strike and don’t miss this! Bowling, pizza, music and more, there’s no better way for our youth to celebrate our 60th Anniversary.
Mother’s Day Chai Tea – Saturday, May 13, Time and Location TBD
- Return to the days of elegance and etiquette and join us for high tea. Back by popular demand, this event is the perfect way to get to know fellow congregants in the quiet setting of a tea house.
60s Party – Saturday, May 20, Time TBD at HCRJ
- Our final event of the year will be groovy. What better way to celebrate 60 years than to have a 60’s party. Live music, dancing, 60’s costumes and fine feasting will close out a year of celebration. Wear your favorite 60’s attire and set you inner flower-child free.